Monday, February 7, 2011

Yaktrax

I bought a pair of yaktrax a few weeks ago - just in case.  I've been using them for my bike to work so if I do have to put a foot down it doesn't slip out from under me and they have been great for that.  Even just walking around on the snow and ice has been really good.  I'm not the most graceful so any stability I can get is helpful.
I tried them out on my first real road run in the snow on Saturday.  When I left the house it was still below freezing and roads were snow packed and frozen.  Perfect for the yaktrax.  I was hesitant at first, but eventually got into the swing of it and was able to run at very close to my normal pace.
I got to the Y and had planned on running a few treadmill miles with a friend who had 16 miles to do.  As is normal, all treadmills were taken so I just chatted and hung out for a bit till one became free.  I hoped on and between bathroom breaks (hormonal bladder) I was able to get in 6 slow miles before I decided it was time to head home.  The sun had come out in the time I was at the Y, as well as the cars, and roads were turning slushy.  It made the trip home a little worse.  Yaktrax can't solve slushy and uneven terrain.  Just tried to stay on less traveled roads and I made it home just fine.  Bottom line - yaktrax rock.

Till next time - run on (in the snow).  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Have you considered Stabilicers Sports ice cleats? They are specifically designed for active users like yourself - lightweight, durable and they have replaceable cleats for long term use. Definitely an added value! PLUS all the 32north products are made in Maine. Come check us out at http://www.32north.com/SportsPlay

    No matter what brand / style you choose definitely stay safe out there while you stay active!

    Enjoy...

    Heather

    ReplyDelete