Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Road biking withdrawals

I can't remember when we've had snow in this area for such an extended amount of time.  Generally snow comes one day and is gone the next.  This last bit of snow came on January 25 and hasn't gone.  Temps have been cold and we've received more on top of the initial 19".  Last Saturday road biking was cancelled.  Commuting to work has continued, but on a mountain bike decked out in ski clothes and goggles.  It's a fun commute, but not a quick or dainty ride on the snow, ice, slush covered streets.  It's more like an Adventure Race - slipping, sliding, dodging obstacles (in this case it's vehicles, parked and moving).  I can deal with the commute, but I really want to get out and stretch my legs on a nice long road ride.  The trainer rides help, as does spinning class, but it's not the same.  This coupled with the fact that I know my pregnant body's time on a road bike frame is short lived is making me anxious to get back on.  Here's hoping for clear road and clear skies for the weekend.  If not we'll again dig out cross or mountain bikes and hit the road, but it won't be the same.

Till next time, ride on.

No comments:

Post a Comment