Friday, December 17, 2010

Run though the Lights

Runs this week have taken place after work in the dark, but it's been fun exploring the city and checking out all the holiday lights & decorations.  I managed runs on Monday night and Wednesday night as scheduled and even followed up the Wednesday night run with an hour on the trainer.  Even made it to early morning spin class on Tuesday and Thursday (we'll see if I'm able to make that happen again next week with the holidays!).
Going to call today a rest day because of dinner plans.  Plan to run tomorrow morning before diving into holiday cookie and candy making (then I won't feel so bad about 'trying' everything!).

Sunday is going to be our 3rd Annual Run through the Lights in Carthage.  At the campus of the Congregation of the Mother Co-Redemptrix there is a great 'drive through lights' display that we run through as well as around the square before heading back to our starting point at the YMCA for cocoa and cookies.  Rounds out to be a 6 mile run (or you can head straight back after the lights and it's 3 miles).  It's usually lots of fun and most of the CRC (Carthage Running Club) will be out there as well as some of the SWAT (Southwest area triathletes) and members of RUFUS racing.
It's held on 12/19/2010, meet at Carthage YMCA at 5:45pm, run at 6pm for anyone interested in joining us!  :-)
No fees for the run (you can bring a small donation for the lights if you wish), everyone welcome - just dress warm.  There will be some people walking and some biking along with us as well.

Just for a second I want to go back to the Congregation of the Mother Co-Redemptrix.  I wanted to make sure I had the name right for this post so I did some minor research.  We call the place Chi Dòng Đồng Công as it states on the sign (in our English accent, I wouldn't have a clue how you actually say this).  Basically I had worked under the assumption that it is a school for monks - Vietnamese Roman Catholic monks.  I think it's fairly accurate.  It sounds like it is a monastery for mostly Vietnamese monks and I do believe they have a school there.  But, the Chi Dòng Đồng Công part I was still unsure of.  Wikipedia has a link to Chi Dòng Đồng Công Hoa Kỳ and Google translates this to say "The current expenditure of the United States".  Guessing it's a rough translation at best.  Based on Wiki I think the Dòng Đồng Công part is Vietnamese for the Congregation of the Mother Co-Redemptrix.  Chi translates to "expenses", but synonyms for expenses are obligation, sacrifice, etc.  Pretty sure Hoa Kỳ is the United States (although I don't remember seeing this on their sign, but I will be looking Sunday).  Overall I think it's the name for the US branch of this religious order.
I do wonder how many people in Carthage know what really goes on there besides the annual Marion Days (and how many people understand what Marion Days celebrates).  I'm glad to know a little bit more about it and hope to continue to learn.  What I do know is they have some pretty amazing gardens within the complex.  We run through them regularly to add 1-1/4 mile onto our run.

Hope to see everyone Sunday - till next time...
Run on!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait...hope the weather isn't too bad and then Greyson can try out his new snowsuit.

    ReplyDelete