Thursday, December 15, 2011

I love to run...

Truly I do, really love it.  Especially on those days when everything just feels right.  You are able to clear your brain from the 'piles' of things you feel that you should be doing - laundry, cooking, cleaning, even spending time with family to carve out that little piece for yourself.  Those days when the weather is your perfect temp (whatever that may be).  Mine seems to be around 35-40 degrees - crisp and cool.  Your body feels good, no real aches and pains (at least tolerable levels).  On those days running is easy to love.
Luckily, I've had a few of those runs lately.  Not enough that I'm dying to get out the door every single day, but enough that some days I am chomping at the bit to get a run in.  Today is one of those days.
Being able to run through pregnancy was awesome, but it was also hard and I didn't have those perfect runs for whatever reason.  Being able to run with this:
is a total treat, but I admit it's hard to have a perfect run when you are busy protecting your precious cargo from the yahoos out on the streets.  Not to mention the extra weight - great for making you stronger, but not so light and free.  Days when B can keep M and I'm able to just go sans stroller I feel bouncy.  I'm definitely not complaining.  I want all the days, but I just really want to appreciate those few that really keep me coming back and leave me feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and healthy. 

These thoughts were all leading me up to the fact that I don't have a routine anymore.  I don't have a goal anymore.  I don't have a plan for those days when I don't want to get out the door.  M is 5-1/2 months old.  I think it's time.  Just running when I want too or can find the time was great for a while, but I think it's time to get more serious.  I know that my schedule as a running mother will have to be flexible, but flexible is better than non-existent.  Right?  So, what's the plan?  What should I train for?  5K, 10K, 1/2, marathon?  Initial thought is marathon training is too time consuming for now.  So, focus on a 1/2 or work on that 5K PR?  This is what's on my mind.  Time will tell what I decide. 

Till then, run on.

1 comment:

  1. Funny to read this now, seeing this post was before our talk last night. :) Laughing now as I read this and see how I was thinking in the same direction. Maybe we can talk about this more on Saturday's run.

    B

    ReplyDelete