Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chilly 5K 2012

Still hammering out the details of my 2012 goals, but regardless I decided to start it off with a New Years Day race - the Chilly 5K in Joplin, MO.  It was a fun event with 300+ participants and chili at the finish.  It runs (hehe) from the North YMCA to the South YMCA.  Point to point races are always good - no duplication of scenery (the course was through part of the May 2011 tornado devastation, which has a way of putting your pain into perspective as well).  It wasn't flat, but not terribly hilly either.  The wind was at our back for 2/3 of the race which was awesome.  The man offered to pace me to what we hoped would be a post baby PR.  At the start of the race I was pretty unsure and had stomach issues.  We finally got going and I was able to let go of some of my nervous energy.  The first mile was pretty good.  The second mile my lungs were hurting.  The third mile my body chimed in, but I was still able to kick a little in the end and finished in 23:41.8.  A little less than 2 seconds off my overall PR at 6 months post baby.  This made me happy.  :-)
The stats (just for fun):  73rd out of 306 overall; 16th out of 160 women; 2nd in my age group; 7:37minute/mile pace.
I have to admit it was fun (and hard).  Now I'm anxious to get out on a flat, fast course on a day I feel good and see if I can break my PR.  Also planning to go back to doing speedwork and see where it takes me.
Here's a pic taken a few yards from the finish line where I look the least like I'm going to collapse (but, there was an ambulance there if I did!!): 
Till next time - Run on!
Chanti

2 comments:

  1. great time ... but that's not "Chilly" for Canadians ... that warm ... or was it a spelling mistake and you had stewed beans at the end? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome running and congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete