Monday, March 1, 2010

Run With the Wind 2010

I need to back up before going directly into race day recap.  I was able to finish out my week of travel with a fairly good run schedule.  Monday 4.25, Tuesday 6.2, Wednesday 4, Thursday 1 - wait, is that right??  1 mile?  Yeah, my silly chest cold kicked back on Thursday - I tried to run, but the lungs were having none of it.  I opted for a total body weight routine.  It wore me out too, but it was better than running.  Overall given the way I felt I thought my exercise for the week was pretty stellar.  I decided to take Friday off (travel day's are always hard to get in a workout).  We flew into Northwest Arkansas, the man friend met me and we went to PF Changs in Rogers to eat with his brother & brother's gf, quick browse through Williams-Sonoma (since we were there), and then a not so quick browse through Lewis & Clark Outfitters.  We decided to do a little bike shopping - the man is under the impression I need a new mountain bike and after riding a few new ones (with shocks that actually work) I am starting to buy it.  (More on the bike shopping later.)  We got home around 9pm and I decided I would do the race the next day so I got ready and went to bed.

So.....Run With the Wind 25K??  Unlike last year's 'Run INTO the Wind' this year really was a 'Run With the Wind'.  It was pretty chilly to start (high 20's/low 30's) but once we got going it felt pretty nice.  The wind wasn't so strong that I felt it propelling me forward, but the two times we turned into it I could definitely feel it was there!  The race is either solo or a team event.  I was running solo, but I had friends that were running as teams.  It was nice - I first hooked up with Linda (her and her hubby/teammate were each doing a little over 10 with 5 mile overlap in the middle) and we ran till around 5 miles.  At that point Scott E. joined in and before long Scott M. (and Cloe the dog) caught up to us.  We all ran together for a bit then Scott M., Cloe and I took off a little faster until we got to the next transition point - mile 10.  At that point Amy took over for Scott M., Linda finished up, and Scott E. hustled to catch up to us again.  The three of us pounded along the eastbound rolling hills that lead into Sarcoxie.  After a couple miles Scott E. checked up a bit and Amy and I continued on.  She gave me the go ahead with around 2 miles left - lol - maybe she thought I had something left in reserve, but I really didn't.  I was able to speed up just a little until my mom happened to drive by and thought that she would cruise along and chat with me for a bit (that's hard to do when you are 13 miles in).  I was able to get some momentum back after she drove on.  Brady caught me shortly after on the bike and helped me get to the turn in point (about 1/2 mile shy of the finish) before he took off so he could have warm clothes waiting on me at the finish.  I had Scott M. and some of their friends and other runners to cheer me on and a 9-10 year old boy ran it in with me for some extra support to finish in 2:24 something.  I was so glad to be done.  It hadn't hurt as bad as anticipated, but that was before the coughing started.  I must say running is more fun with others.  Next year I will have Brooke back so watch out wind!!  ;-)

Side notes - the t-shirt was pretty awesome this year - short sleeve tech t-shirt vs. the long sleeve cotton last year (that was complete with the prior years date).  I was even able to snag a small - love it!  Support was also great this year - plenty of water/gatorade and the finish line bagels, oranges and banana's hit the spot.  It's a great race that I hope continues to grow in size!

Till next time - run on, bike on!


  1. YES...I will be there next year ;-)
    :( seriously missed a cool that sucks
    New bike sounds cool - did Lewis & Clark still have the bike I saw around XMas (sorry, can't remember the name)


  2. Well, the t-shirts are techy & for the right year - they aren't a 10 on the cool-o-meter yet, but closer! ;-)
    I think they do still have that bike - think it's the one I rode - the Kona Lisa 120 Deluxe - he was pushing it hard - I told Brady it was probably the one you were looking at. It's a sweet ride!