Thursday, November 11, 2010

Biking in boots - a commuter's tale

NOTE:  As of 9/27/11 I'm trying to combine my running and commuting blogs...


I've been thinking about doing this blog for quite some time and finally decided to just do it.  I have a blog for running, but I didn't want to clutter my thoughts on running with my thoughts on biking and mostly commuting so here we are...


A bit (more) about me (as a biker):

I've been biking for about 5 years.  In that time I won’t say I’ve gotten serious about it, but I am committed.  I love to ride.  I’m not great at any particular style (jack of all trades, master of none), but I do it frequently.  Weeks in the late spring to early fall include Monday night chill rides that I organized and lead with my man friend.  Thursday night group rides – a more serious group that works in pace lines and has goals of racing.  There is generally a long weekend ride on either Saturday, Sunday or both.  In addition (and probably the biggest reason for me feeling a need for a new blog) is commuting daily.
NOTE:  my commute is only 1 mile – with lunch 4 miles/day total to and from work.
Fall and winter change up biking because of the weather and daylight.  We do some mountain biking on Tuesday nights and cyclocross practice on alternating other days though the week as long as we can and still try to get in long rides on the weekend.  Spin class or trainer rides do filter in to maintain fitness levels when it gets super frigid. 
Another NOTE:  Since I am also a runner (See Back to Running blog), major gaps in bike training are usually due to a running race that’s slipped into the schedule.

So, moving on...
Commuting has opened up a whole different world for me in some ways.  Even though it's short it still requires more planning and thought than hoping in a car and hitting the gas.  In addition the only other people I know who commute regularly (on a chatty basis) are men and they are no help when it comes to what to wear.  So, this blog will deal with me finding my way in this arena and all kinds of other thoughts on biking in general from the female perspective.  

Notes about the title:
  • I don't always bike in boots, but I have been known to on quite a few occasions and in a small town in SW Missouri this tends to cause some stares.
  • I'm particular about my dress, but I don't spend a lot of money on it (hence the 'on a budget').  Also, I'm not a fashionista - I like fun and practical attire (at least I think - you can be the judge as the blog moves along).  :-)

So, stay tuned to hear more about my commuting, clothes that are good for it, and biking in general...

No comments:

Post a Comment